Youth Court Practice & Procedure 
Expires after 90 days
CPD Hours: 1
This 1-hour session will deal with the practice and procedural points which crop up regularly when dealing with Children and Young People in the Youth Court. The Sentencing Code 2020 changed all of the familiar Sections that we have become accustomed to and the presentation will deal with the amendments.
Topics covered will include:
- The committal for sentence of a Child or Young Person from the Youth Court to the Crown Court for sentence under the Sentencing Code 2020
- The sending of a Child or Young Person from the Youth Court to the Crown Court for trial under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
- The remittal of a Child or Young Person from the Crown Court to the Youth Court for sentencing purposes or for trial under the Sentencing Code 2020
- Remands into the care of the Local Authority and remands into Youth Detention Accommodation and whether or not such remand periods will be deducted by the institution in the event of a custodial sentence being imposed
- The important document published by the Judicial College – ‘Youth defendants in the Crown Court
- Dealing with Homicide in the Youth Court – What is and what is not a homicide? – Can the case be kept in the Youth Court or must it be sent to the Crown Court?