Opposed Lease Renewal and Redevelopment - Life after Frances 
Expires after 90 days
CPD Hours: 1
As for tenants, while they may accept that ultimately the landlord will proceed with its scheme, and they will have to relocate, the nature of the procedure holds out opportunities to use negotiating levers so as to maximise their advantage, whether their aim be to obtain a significant payment in return for vacating, or space in the completed development.
Topics covered include:
- What works will qualify?
- The nature of the landlord’s intention, post Franses
- Readiness at trial - coping with planning delays
- Tactics and timing – going fast and going slow
- The misrepresentation pitfall – keep the tenant informed
- Controlling statutory compensation
- To develop a strategy for an opposed renewal on redevelopment grounds, taking into account the crucial timing considerations.
- To appreciate what degree of intention on the landlord’s part is required to succeed.
- To understand how far the landlord must be able to prove its ability to carry out its scheme.
- To minimise the financial impact of compensation.