Advising Occupiers on Post-Covid Rent Debt 
Expires after 90 days
CPD Hours: 1
Watch the 2021 trailer here:
What is covered in this session?
With the lifting of restrictions on landlords’ remedies for the recovery of rent arrears, very many tenants will face serious problems, particularly in the retail and hospitality sectors. Landlords have, in the main, been prepared to agree rent concessions up to now, and whether they will continue to support tenants’ businesses may largely come down to negotiating positions.
Whether there are former tenants or guarantors to pursue may be one important factor; others may be re-letting prospects, remaining length of term, and the likely outcome of any insolvency process. Tenants need to be aware of the potential bargaining chips, but also have a clear-eyed understanding of what happens if no arrangement can be agreed with the landlord.
- What will be the likely impact of restrictions on remedies being lifted?
- Is it only the landlord that must be dealt with, or does the tenant also need to engage former tenants, sub-tenants, etc?
- Is there any route to early lease termination?
- Can insolvency supply a solution?
- What can tenants offer landlords to sweeten a deal?