LAW2020 Online: Residential Property
Expires after 30 days
Stephen Desmond and David Keighley
CPD Hours: 6
This particular event in the LAW2020 Online: Residential Property series was live from 16th June - 15th July 2020.
Despite the live event now closing, the sessions are still available and include 6 hours of CPD for only £149 +VAT.
This event includes:
- High quality 4 x 1 hour pre-recorded videos and audio broadcast (topic titles are listed below)
- Q&A – a one hour recording of our live “Shape The Debate” Q&A with Stephen Desmond and David Keighley. This is your opportunity to hear our experts answering attendee questions on both the pre-recorded content and general day to day Residential Property issues
- LAW2020 Online: Residential Property Exhibition – chance to gain additional hours CPD, including a choice of webinar from our Distance Learning catalogue worth £35 +VAT.
Residential Property education sessions include:-
1. Identifying Tricky Conveyancing Transactions and Mitigating Risk presented by Stephen Desmond
This recording will consider difficult issues which can arise in conveyancing transactions.
Purchasers’ conveyancers have to be able to spot the potential traps, find a cost-effective to address them, and ultimately decide whether the title is good and marketable.
This presentation consider ways of identifying tricky issues when they arise and looks at possible ways of reducing or neutralising the resulting risks.
Learning aims & objectives:
- Understanding the hazards which can arise in cases where there is no express right of way, the deed containing the right is lost or a right of way is defective
- Being mindful of ambiguities arising when a right of way for the benefit of one parcel of land does not expressly extend to adjoining land
- Being able to spot key dangers of breaches (actual or apprehended) of restrictive covenants pertaining to building works
- Developing a greater awareness of transactions that present a higher risk of undue influence
- Appreciating the pitfalls where there is an absent landlord or defunct management company on leasehold purchases
- Assessing risk when donees under a power of attorney are proposing to dispose of the donor’s property
2. Update on Fraud Risks Facing Conveyancers presented by Stephen Desmond
There are a variety of property-related fraud risks. Often, the key to practitioners protecting themselves from these perils is knowing major warning signs and then taking sufficient steps to avoid inadvertently becoming embroiled in the fraud.
This presentations will consider a range of relevant issues, including recent cases and relevant professional guidance.
This session will cover:
- Becoming cognisant of the key indicators of vendor property fraud and mortgage fraud
- What lessons can practitioners learn from decided cases?
- Learning about emerging fraud risks
- Becoming aware of specific examples of additional due diligence that can be undertaken in higher-risk cases
- Appreciating riskier forms of money transfer in and out of your client account
- Understanding the implications of the 2019 changes to the Law Society’s Code for Completion by Post and related amendments to the Conveyancing Protocol
- Being able to spot signs of trust declarations being used to conceal beneficial ownership
- Ensuring you are aware of and able to follow key AML guidance
3. Adverse Possession: Changes to Law & Practice presented by David Keighley
This session will cover issues of importance for Residential property practitioners. It will look at recent changes which may impact on advice to clients. Areas to be covered are:
- Overview of the established Law & Practice
- Impact of the Court of Appeal decision in Thorpe v Frank 2019 EWCA Civ 150
Loophole in Law Society Code for Completion by Post:
- Protection offered by the Code for Completion by Post
- Implications of relying on that protection in the light of the precise terms of the Code
Energy Performance Certificates: new requirements for Buy to Let & Listed Buildings:
- Overview of the revised requirements for tenanted property
- Has “clarification” of the requirements for Listed Buildings made the position worse or less clear?
4. Land Registry Practice Guide updates including Impact of COVID-19 presented by David Keighley
This session will look at significant changes to Land Registry Practice & Practice Guides in place as at May 2020 including a complete U-turn by Land Registry in respect of a proposed change which would have caused significant issues for practitioners.
Topics to be covered are:
- Covid 19 Practice Changes
- Practice Guide 19: Complying with Restrictions
- Practice Guide 63: Land Charges
- Practice Guide 31: Discharge of Mortgages
- Practice Guide 55: Address for Service
- Practice Guide 8: Execution by Companies
- Practice Guide 21: Complex Transfers
- Practice Guide 40: Plans
Event partners include:
We have trialled the format at previous online conferences, and we are overwhelmed with the feedback we have received from making our face-to-face events possible online. Comments we have received so far include:
"The whole experience was valuable, and communication has been really first class" - General Advisor
"I wanted to say how much I valued receiving and sharing the Online webinar. I felt it was very helpful and very interesting for you to allow all legal practitioners to participate. Thank you for all the extra information and resources, I look forward to the next." - Solicitor in practice
"The world of law is in constant flux and the speakers update on recent developments will be extremely helpful going forward (as they ever are!)" - Solicitor/Director
"I have never attended a similar event but I definitely would again" - Partner
"A good way to access training at a time to suit you, the online course is as effective as attending in person." - Associate Solicitor
2020 Distance Learning SRA Mandatory Webinars
The SRA’s updated compulsory requirements for all solicitors and law firms make these 1-hour pre-recorded lectures a must-watch.
Eliminate your risk by ensuring your team is trained in these key areas.
Get instant access to all 3 sessions for only £90 + VAT by using the discount code DL30 at the checkout.